9.11.18

North Island Day 59, 31/10/17 ~ 北島第59日・2017年10月31日


I have been gratefully offered kindness and supports from generous people for two months walking TA in the North Island, and the most surprised event happened to me today.  

When I started to walk after lunch, a lady in a nearby car spoke to me "Have a good food tonight" and gave me a $20 note!  Well, I did not take shower for 4 days and did not wash my clothes for 9 days... but goodness, did I look THAT pitiful!?  As if she perceived I have walked in the bush meeting nobody for 3 days, the lady called Lisa said to me, "Are you travelling NZ on foot by yourself?  I think you must feel lonely sometimes so I wanted you to have a delicious dinner at least!"   Among the people walking on the beach in light clothing, I must have been looking outstanding in a wrong way with an enormous backpack and walking poles.  Accepted her offer with thanks, as I did not want to be rude to her.  I have already donated $100 to RDWT before this trip, and will donate this $20 in addition when I get home. 

Today, walked 10km on a sealed road from the spot I camped to Waikanae township.  It was gradual downhill and took me 2hrs to walk. Bought plasters for blisters (this was the 3rd packet!) and lunch there. Then walked on a flat and easy track along Waikanae river, in a tidal flat and beach.  Was really great after having had tough 5 days in Tararua Mountains.  Had a good weather, too.  Arrived at Paikakariki Holiday Park before 16:00, $18/night to camp.  Had a time to dry damp tent, sleeping bag and boots, and to wash shorts and long john.  Took shower, too - hopefully I am looking better now?!  Walked 31km today.

 この2ヶ月間、北島のTAコースに沿って歩いている間に、多くの人々から様々な親切や援助を受けてきたが、今日起きたことには最も驚かされた。

 昼食を食べて荷物を担ぎ、歩き出した途端、そばの車内にいた女性から声をかけられ「今夜これで美味しいものでも食べて!」と$20紙幣を差し出されたのだ。自分はそんな哀れな格好をしているだろうか?確かに最後にシャワーを浴びたのは4日前だし、洗濯したのは9日前だけれども…… リサというその女性は「NZを一人で歩いて旅しているんでしょ?寂しくなることもあるだろうから、せめて美味しい食事でもしてもらえたらと思って!」と、自分が過去3日間誰にも会わず山の中を歩き続けてきたことを見透かしたかのようなことを言う。身軽な服装で散歩する人ばかりの海辺を、一人大きな荷物を背負って2本の杖をついて突き進む自分はきっと悪目立ち?!しているんだろう…… せっかくの彼女の好意、断るのも失礼なのでありがたく戴く。自分はこの旅を始める前にすでに$100を個人的にRDWTへ寄付しているが、追加でこの$20も寄付させて戴きます。

 今日の行程は、野宿したキャンプ地を出てからワイカナエの町までの10kmの舗装道路は緩やかな下り坂で2時間で到着。そこで靴擦れの手当用品(これで3箱目!)屋昼食を買い、そこからはワイカナエ川、ついで干潟や浜辺とほぼ平坦な歩きやすい道を行く楽なもので、この5日間タラルア山中で痛めつけられた体にはありがたい日だった。天気も良くて、16時前には予定していたパイカカリキ・ホリデーパーク着。$18払いテント泊。湿ったテントや寝袋、登山靴を乾かし、泥汚れの目立つショートパンツやスパッツを手洗いする時間もあった。久々にシャワーも浴びたし、少しは見られる姿になったかな?本日の歩行31km。


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Eiji's Te Araroa Walk appearances on Internet media  インターネット・メディアでの栄治のテ・アラロア・ウォーク紹介

Eiji's Te Araroa walk articles featured by internet media were all very good and well worth reading. Eiji's fundraising for Rout...